Saturday, May 09, 2020

Windows 10 Folder Shortcuts

I have to admit, I did not know about that:

The shell: command can be used to open a special folder directly from the Start, Search menu or from the Run dialog. For example, the command shell:sendto opens the SendTo folder (%userprofile%\sendto) of your user profile. To launch the Documents folder of your user profile, you’d type shell:Personal. Below is a complete shell: commands listing for Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista. The entire listing is stored in the following registry key in Windows Vista and higher:
So e.g. Windows-R and "shell:startup" opens the startup folder.
I used to play around with "%appdata%" etc etc where I knew there was an environment variable for it, but the shell: shortcut enables a lot more.

Found - amongst others - here 
and of course on

Wednesday, January 08, 2020

How do I stop my Firestick from optimizing?

Well, the other day I noticed that my USB charging cable for my Amazon Fire Stick was broken. So I just dug into my USB cable carton and get the next best USB micro charger and replace the broken one.

I though.
A couple of days late I found the stick busy  "Optimizing systems storage and applications...", letting me know "This will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.".
Fair enough... You do your thing then...

Well, it never completed, Even rebooting did not help.

Image result for have you tried turning it off and on again

So I googled, and found a bunch of useless videos, that show you the stuck message for minutes and complain about the stick being stuck... and that not even Alexa would work.  Now sh$t, Sherlock.

Oddly enough, the cause (as those google searches revealed) was related to me changing the power supply/cable. Shouldn't have picked the cheapest one.
Went back to the USB cable box, took a more expensive looking cable, and - voila - after completing the optimization the stick is now back running as it should.

And I just saved you half an hour of your life watching those not-really-helping videos.
You're welcome.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Google .new shortcut for Calendar

Just found this on engadget.

If you type in or in the address bar (sorry, awesomebar, or whatever it is called these days), it will directly re-direct you to the page/dialog to create a new calendar entry for your google calendar.

Seems to have been around for google docs for a while now, but I don't really create a lot of them, compared to calendar entries.

Nice use of TLDs ;)

Saturday, February 02, 2019

Google Photos from OnePlus Camera

The latest update on my OnePlus 5T (to Android P) make OnePlus Gallery the app that opens when you click on the gallery/image icon at the lower right corner.

Just setting Google Photos as the default app does not change that...
You have actually disable the Gallery app.

To do this, go to the phone's settings, and the applications menu there.
Find the Gallery app, and click on the Disable button.

From then on, the camera will open the default app for photos, which you should make sure to set to Google Photos.

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Finally LastPass Autofill on iOS

I have to admit that I don't know how long this has been there, I just noticed it last week.
iOS (on my iPad) can finally use LastPass
(my favorite password manager) in addition to it's own keychain.

All you have to do (besides of course having a LastPass account and having the LastPass app installed on your device) is the following.

Go to the Settings menu, and find the section "Passwords & Accounts".
There you will see the item "AutoFill Passwords". Touch on the arrow to the right to get to the next step.


You should see all installed AutoFill applications there, in my case Keychain and LastPass.

All you need to do here, is select the check mark to the right to enable it.

Depending on your LassPass vault and settings, on the next Login (app or web-page), you will be given a choice to select the credentials from your LastPass account. In my case I have to provide a fingerprint first... but that's it.

Pretty cool. Essentially the same as with Keychain, just accross platforms. That's why I use LastPass.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

How to get a year-month value in DB2

I quickly needed to check the monthly progress of a certain variable over time. Problem was that those bookings/incomes are spread over the month, sometimes only one booking line, sometimes two... So I needed a grouping variable, that the "absolute month", i.e. the usual year-month value,that you know from financial system, e.g. 201709 for this current month.

Here's the easy way to put that into a function on DB2:

create function yearmonth(TS date) returns varchar(6) no external action deterministic return rtrim(char(year(TS))) || right(digits(month(TS)),2)

Then you can easily do a group by yearmonth(date).
(Don't omit the "not external action" and "deterministic" parts, because a) they are true and b) they are needed for grouping)

Of course you don't have to create a function for this, but easier then re-typing it, or creating a view.

(You might want to create the same function for timestamp as well... just so happened that I now only needed it with the date signature).

You're welcome :)

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Instagram is weird...

So I posted two (only 2 !!) pictures of a garden on instagram, and all of a sudden I get dozens of followers with garden-related accounts/names. I did not even tag those images as garden-something....